Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summertime Fun

Last night we had the biggest rainstorm of the season. It was fantastic!! It rained so hard we could barely see the end of our yard. Water was literally gushing out of our eavestrough. Rivers were running down our road. It was incredible!!

So, when the rain started to ease off a bit, the kids went outside. I only wish I'd been able to get pictures of all this to show you, but the rain was still fairly heavy so there was no way I was taking my camera out. Besides, it was too dark.

They were outside for an hour. Running and playing, screaming and cheering. My son was literally rolling in puddles. Yes, rolling. There was a huge puddle at the end of our yard, and there was the boy, in his pj's, rolling in the water and mud. They used a bucket to catch water and threw it on each other, they even turned the hose on, although why they needed the extra water, I'll never know!

They hunted toads and leopard frogs in the puddles. They danced and they sang, and they the time of their lives.

My kids are very far apart in age. The girl is 16 and the boy is 10. Seeing them playing together, hearing them have fun with each other was the most enjoyable thing I've witnessed in a very long time. I was happier than they were, I think!

After at least an hour of playing in the rain, I got them a couple of towels and they came back in, fun time over, but the memories of the fun they had will last a lifetime for them.

Do you remember what it was like to be so carefree? To be able to throw off all your inhibitions and roll in  puddle or dance in the rain? What a freeing experience that must be. I think I just might join them next time.

Today's Update:

The patchwork quilt I mentioned yesterday is coming along very nicely. I'm almost finished all the solid squares (except for the 30 solid white that I will have to finish when I get more white yarn).  The really fantastic thing is that my daughter has no idea it's actually for her. She thinks I'm making it for myself.

I was showing her the quilting patterns I found yesterday and she really liked the butterfly wall quilt, so guess who's getting one of those this year? :)

Tonight's supper will be a one pan sausage bake. It's so simple and the kids just love it.

Sausage (I use 4, but you can use more or less  depending on how many you have to feed) sliced
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 carrots peeled and sliced
1 onion chopped

Put everything in a casserole dish and bake for approximately 1 hour at 350.

It's delicious and so very simple to make.

Tonight the boy has a baseball game, so it's a bit rushed which makes this dinner absolutely perfect. I can throw it together this morning and there is no rush at all.

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love all your comments and will do my best to respond to each of you. Have a fantastic day!