Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 10, 2010

This year is going to be a handmade Christmas. Not only are we short on money, but it's also a great way to show people that we're thinking of them, long before Christmas.

So far, I'm crocheting an afghan for both of my children, my mom and my MIL. For my daughter, I'm crocheting a quilt-look afghan in white, hot pink, lime green, and purple, some of her favourite colours. For my mom, I'm crocheting a lacy afghan in either sage green or burgundy to match her new living room. For my MIL, I'm not sure yet, but it will have a cottagy look, since that is where they live. :)

I also have a really gorgeous pattern I purchased for white lace scarves that my mom will love. There are three in the set. I'm not sure if I'll be doing all three or just one. 

I'm also going to be trying my hand at some quilting. I have the pieces for a really cute hanging heart that I will make up for everyone, including my son's teacher. I'm also going to be trying my hand at this really cute Sunbonnet Sue Kitchen Decoration. It's a beginner pattern which is just perfect for me! LOL!

Someone will be getting this cute little Bagdelena Bear bag catcher (most likely my mom, but I haven't decided yet)

This Holiday Runner (last one of the three on this page), and this Butterfly Wallhanging will be gracing someone's home as well.

I'm still looking for patterns that might work for loved ones. I do have a lot of work ahead of me though! LOL!

Today's dinner will be homemade spaghetti and meatballs. It's a great recipe I found in a Family Favourites cookbook I purchased last Christmas. It's a fantastic cookbook with great downhome style recipes.

Sauce:

3/4 cup onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3tbsp olivve oil
1 lb canned tomatoes, drained
2 6oz cans tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp crushed oregano
1 bay leaf

Cook onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf , add meatballs and continue cooking for 30 minutes over low heat.

Meatballs:

4 slices slightly dry bread
1 lb ground chuck
2 eggs
1/2 cup romano cheese, grated
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed oregano
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 tsp corn oil

Soak bread in water for 2-3 minutes and squeeze  moisture out. Combine bread with remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into small balls and brown slowly in oil. Add to sauce.

It's delicious and really quite easy to make. You should try it! I serve it with garlic bread and a nice side salad. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love all your comments and will do my best to respond to each of you. Have a fantastic day!